Monday, January 26, 2009

One Eternal Round

Currently, I'm re-reading The Mitford Series by Jan Karon. When my Mom was here a few days ago, she hit a hot booth at the Farmer's market and bought a bunch of them for me. If you have never read them, you've missed out. They are about the life of a small town Episcopal preacher, Father Tim Kavanaugh. They are an easy read, but filled with truth. I love them because they remind me of what is important.

I think I'd forgotten how much I love Father Tim and the way his mind works. He is constantly quoting either the Bible or early Christian writers. Here is a quote from the volume I was reading last week. It is a quote from St. Francis de Sales, a Catholic saint who lived from 1567 to 1622.

"Do not look forward to what may happen tomorrow; the same everlasting Father who cares for you today will take care of you tomorrow and every day. Either He will shield you from suffering, or He will give you unfailing strength to bear it. Be at peace, then, put aside all anxious thoughts and imaginations, and say continually; 'The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart has trusted in Him and I am helped. He is not only with me, but in me and I in Him.'"

I know it is silly of me, but I am always surprised that people 500 years ago had the same feelings about Christ that I have today. It is glorious to me when I read something written by someone so many years ago who felt the same soul-stirrings that I feel from day to day. I am reminded of Hymn #141 which was written by Bernard of Clairvaux, a French monk who lived from about 1091 to 1153 (which means that this hymn was written about 900 years ago.)

Jesus, the very thought of thee
With sweetness fills my breast;
But sweeter far thy face to see
And in the presence rest.

Nor voice can sing, nor heart can frame,
Nor can the mem'ry find
A sweeter sound than thy blest name,
O Savior of mankind!

O hope of ev'ry contrite heart,
O joy of all the meek,
To those who fall, how kind thou art!
How good to those who seek!

Jesus, our only joy by thou,
As thou our prize wilt be;
Jesus, be thou our glory now,
And thru eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment