Sunday, June 19, 2011

My Daddy

I've been writing this blog in my head ever since Mother's Day. I've written it and re-written it in my mind. But now as I sit down to put it on my blog, I can't seem to organize my thoughts.

There are so many wonderful things I could say about my dad. So many great memories. So many, in fact, that they are all jumbled in my mind; each one fighting for a chance to be told. If I told it all, this blog would take too long to write and way too long to read. So here are only three of the most important things I learned (and continue to learn) from my daddy.

1. Love Everyone

I don't think my father has ever met a stranger. I know that sounds weird, but once he meets you, you are his friend. I remember when I was a little girl and we would go on camping trips. One of the first things Dad would do once we got our tent up and got settled in was to meet the neighbors. He would introduce himself to everyone camping around us. If we walked to the Ranger Station, he would make friends with everyone along the way. If we had to go to the campground laundry facilities, by the time we left, he could tell everyone in the laundromat goodbye by name.

While I was growing up, Daddy was a highschool band director. He had an award-winning band program. In a highschool of 600 or 700 students, he had a band of 100 to 150 students every year. One of the reasons Dad had such a successful band was that he LOVED everyone of those kids, and they knew it.

When I got into highschool, I loved being Mr. Bos's daughter. I loved how much he was loved. Having your dad as a teacher in highschool would probably be most kids' worst nightmare, but - because of my dad's love - having him at school with me everyday was the best!

2. I have a Heavenly Father Who Loves Me

This was kind of a residual lesson that Dad taught me without saying it outloud. The concept of a loving Heavenly Father was always so easy for me to understand. It was easy for me to concieve of a Father in Heaven who loves me unconditionally; Who loves me just as I am; Who loves me in spite of myself; Who loves all of me. When I attended BYU during my first semester, I remember sitting around the kitchen table with my room-mates one night discussing unconditional love. Some of them could not grasp the concept of a Heavenly Father who could love them even if they were not always doing what was right. They had a hard time understanding a God who loves ALL of His children, good and/or bad. During that discussion, I had a huge "aha" moment and realized that my ability to believe in a Heavenly Father who loves me came because of my life experience with an earthly Father who loves me. Thank you Daddy for always loving all of me, good and bad.

3. Serve Others, Willingly, Joyfully and Quietly

My Dad (and Mom) taught all of us how to serve others by showing us service in it's purest form. Dad taught school full-time. When he got home, many nights he went on church assignments. On weeknights after work and on weekends, he worked around our house. Mowing, weeding, planting, painting, fixing our cars, fixing our pump, fixing whatever needed to be fixed. Then, he was always first in line when there was a service assignment. If someone needed to move, he was there to help. If someone needed a lawn mowed, he was there. When we had a church farm assignment, he (and ALL of our family) was the first one there and the last one to leave. Growing up, I don't think I ever left a church meeting/activity before everyone else was gone and all the dishes were done and all the chairs were put away and all the work was done. I don't ever remember complaining or feeling badly about that. It's just what we did. My daddy has spent his life serving others. I am greatful for that joyful legacy.

Happy Father's Day, Daddy. I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment